This recipe is one of my all-time favourites, whenever I want to feel happy, I make this one and let it hug me with its silky heart.
Just with 3 ingredients it is a great recipe but for heavenly bites I have some tricks and flavours for you.
Prep time: 4 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
3 medium potatoes, diced (dry ones are better because of high starch content, but whatever you have is fine.)
1 medium onion, sliced crosswise (or diced if you prefer a more distributed onion flavour.)
Olive oil 2 tablespoons whipping cream (optional, if you are not on a cheat day like me)
4 handfuls of sesame seeds
2 teaspoons salt
- Place a big pan on high heat and pour 8 tablespoons of olive oil in it.
- Add the potatoes when the oil is hot. Wait for 3-4 minutes to let the potatoes get a good sear.
- Stir the potatoes and scrape the bottom with a spatula. Then set the heat on low.
- Squeeze the onions and place top of the potatoes. Wait for 2 minutes. • Give it a stir and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Let it cook until the onions are browned, and the potatoes get crunchier.
- Beat the eggs, cream and a teaspoon of salt.
- Put a smaller pan (24 cm, 9 in) on high heat and pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with half of the sesame seeds.
- Transfer the potatoes and onions to the smaller pan and add the egg mixture.
- Give it a good shake, put the lid on and lower the heat.
- Let it cook for 8-10 minutes. • Cover the top with the remaining sesame seeds. You can finish it off in the oven until the top is golden brown.
- To continue with the pan, scrape the sides and the bottom in case it sticks. • Put a flat-bottomed lid on and flip the eggs onto the lid. Do this away from the flames to avoid any burn.
- Slide the eggs back into the pan and let it cook for another couple of minutes.
- Place the egg onto the dish using the lid and enjoy the crunchy outside and silky inside of the potato eggs.